Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Conspiracy at the news stand?

This morning I missed the 7:13am train that takes me into Boston. When it was 7am and I still wasn't dressed and hadn't made breakfast yet I knew that my usual routine of running the 6 minute walk to the train stop wasn't even going to get me there in time. Rather than take the bus to the T (which frustrates me because by the time I realize I won't make the train I've missed 3 buses) I decided to wait until the 8am train -- and to make sure that I had plenty of time to leisurely walk to the stop.

And I did. I had a whole 4 minutes at the train stop to pick up my free daily dose of the The Metro and to talk walk to the end of the train that I know will bring me close the exit door of the Backbay station so that I can quickly get up the stairs and to the T platform to (hopefully) squeeze into the train that half of the time I miss.

But oh no! When I approached the green news stand there were no Metros. I had to think for a second about what day it was. I didn't think I confused a Tuesday morning after a long weekend with a Saturday or Sunday when there's no Metro. I chalked it up to taking the later training and looked around the corner at the other news kiosks to pick up a Weekly Dig, or even a Stuff at Night. I just wanted something to read on the train.

To my surprise, there was another kiosk replete with a large stack of a new daily newspaper in Boston. I then remembered a something I heard on NPR earlier in the morning while I was brushing my teeth -- that a new daily newspaper was starting in Boston today. Could it be? Did this new daily paper, on its first day in circulation, remove all of the Metros so that us commuters in need of light, reading pleasure, would pick up one of theirs? And of course, that's exactly what I did. I have to say, I wasn't impressed. And I'm not even going to name the paper (actually, I couldn't because I can't remember it).

Perhaps it wasn't a conspiracy. But what a mean way to start people's mornings.

1 Comments:

At 4/20/2007 9:24 AM, Blogger Alex Gurn said...

I got a part-time job with a guerilla marketing firm to start small scale neighborhood feuds between the Metro and the new free subway paper, Boston Now. I've been monitoring our activity and am sorry to say that your blog is about the most heated activity we've been able to muster. Oh, by the way, the same guy who owns The Metro started this other paper. The conspiracy you were feeling is not about depriving you from your free paper. It's a suspicious sense that comes from advertising overload that pays for the paper. Perfectly normal. Nothing to worry about. If you're skin starts to itch really bad, then you're in trouble.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home